Your business “About Us” page is one of the most useful and popular pages on your website as this is where potential customers visit to learn more about you and why they should stick around (and what’s in it for them!).
Creating a knockout “About Us” page requires so much more than just a short bio and cute picture. I’m now going to walk you through each step to making yours informative and actionable so once someone lands on your page, they’re not going to do anything but buy what you’re selling! And I, for one, know how difficult it can be to write about yourself, so I’ve totally got you on this! Let’s get started!
1. GIVE YOUR AUDIENCE VALUE
While most people focus the About section on themselves, it really should be about the value you give your audience with your business, your offering and yourself. Yes, you add value too – and people want to hear about it!
It’s so important for you to let them know, right away, how you are going to help them. Be super clear on what makes your business useful and why you created it in the first place.
2. BE CLEAR WITH WHO YOU’RE TARGETING
When people land on your “About Us” page, you want them to know you can help them – right away. I mean, presumably they came to your site looking for something you’re offering so you want them to know they’re in the right place. You want them to immediately realize that your products were created for THEM.
Specify who your site is for so that you can quickly connect with your potential customer. Naturally, your business might not appeal to everyone, and that’s totally fine. But you have to let them know right away so as not to waste time – theirs and yours!
3. BUSINESS BIO
Your business bio needs to attract your potential customer and spell out how your offering is going to benefit or interest your audience. Use these questions to guide you through creating a killer business bio that tells your audience right away you can help them:
- Why would someone need your business and its offerings? Try a sentence like, “If you love X, X, and X, you’ll feel right at home here.”
- What will they get out of your products, services or offerings?Are they going to get some sort of inspiration? Business advice? An encouraging community of supportive women? Let them know what to expect.
- Which types of products do you sell?Don’t leave them guessing. You’re obviously proud of what you’ve created so tell your potential audience! And lay it out how you envision it for the full experience.
- Why does your business/products have credibility?This is where you can list customer testimonials and other feedback from business partners, vendors and other partners. You can also talk about how you have X years of experience in your field.
- How did your business get started? People love to feel like insiders and get a behind-the-scenes look at how you got where you are today. Don’t be afraid to be personable here and incorporate how your business came to be.
4. NOW IT’S TIME TO TALK ABOUT YOURSELF!
In this section, you finally get to talk about your life as it relates to your business. This is where you talk about who you are, why you created this business, your products, etc. – and where all of it fits into your life too. When did you get the epiphany to start your little (or big) kingdom?
It is okay to include some random, relatable fun tidbits of info in this section — in fact, I highly recommend it! Adding things like where you live in, what you do for fun, and anything else that helps you connect with your audience. Just don’t fill the entire section with these facts.
5. DON’T FORGET YOUR CALL TO ACTION!
When you meet a business prospect and wrap up your meeting, do you just say thank you and leave? I don’t think so – at least you better not. No, you thank them and let them know when you’ll follow up with them. You open the door for opportunity.
Well, the same needs to be done with the About Page. And this opportunity is known as a call to action (or CTA). This is something that encourages your audience to act with your products and offerings. This can be something like asking them to subscribe to your mailing list for special insider discounts or signing up for free content related to your product… or anything that gives them a benefit to be your customer while giving you a way to stay in touch. I mean, you’ve spent so much time getting them to your page – you don’t want to lose them, am I right?
Bottom line – this is one of the best opportunities to showcase your story to your personal story – so, make it irresistible so your potential customer can’t stay away. And please share any tips you have on what makes your “About Us” page a knockout.
Your story…to be continued